Taupo Trout Fishing Guides – fly fishing equipment
We provide all fly fishing gear in all sizes and our Taupo trout fishing guides usually find it easier to setup our own gear. Some clients, however, do like to use their own fly fishing kit when coming to Taupo and that’s fine too.
If you prefer to bring your own fly fishing gear then below is a fishing equipment guide for the Taupo region and central North Island of NZ:
- Small streams and creeks 81/2″ 4-5#s, standard summer dry fly 9′ 5-6#s, lake and shore 9-10′ 7-8#. Four-piece rods in their tubes are an advantage for tramping, 4×4, chopper and rafting trips to enjoy NZ backcountry fly fishing, but just bring your usual floating fly lines whatever colour you want, you don’t have to go out and dye them silly colours with us !!
- Good idea to bring an intermediate, Di3 and Di7 for your Stillwater and shore edge fly fishing for cruising trout.
- A range of good fluoro from 4lb to 10lb, a range of Copolymer from 4lb to 8lb.
- A wading stick helps on the Tongariro River and other backcountry waters that can have boulders and rocks to walk over.
- Bring some quality base layer thermal, fast drying shorts and long sleeve fly fishing shirts, bring your favourites, again colour doesn’t matter as long as they are UV resistant and a built in bug repellent can be an advantage especially for evening rises. Taupo as with much of New Zealand can be cool in the morning then very hot during the day.
- If you choose a stalking package then you will need to bring some more sombre coloured clothing for us to guide you close to the big browns…
- Bring a good hat with a long peak, lightweight and very breathable again UV resistant if possible.
- Get a Buff to protect your neck from the strong New Zealand sun and sandflies, its a brilliant product with loads of uses.
- If you suffer from hayfever bring meds or you can buy hayfever tablets over the counter, and suncream can be handy too.
- Sun block mitts, which are kinder when handling trout in hot weather.
- In the central North Island of NZ in winter when fly fishing a proper Gore Tex Wading jacket should be brought, for summer a lightweight packaway is all you’ll need.
- Don’t bring any fur or feather as its not worth the effort, check with NZ’s Ministry of Primary Industries if you are bringing your own flies into the country just to make sure of current legislation as you don’t want to lose them !!
- If you insist on bringing your waders and boots you will be stopped by MPI or Customs. You will have them removed, they may treat them there and then or they may forward them on to you in Taupo ” at their convenience ” – this is where fishing plans can go wrong so be aware…
Read more about the different waters we guide on and the range of fly fishing options available in the central North Island of NZ.
When we guide you we will be happy to provide any equipment that you have not brought. Our Turangi and Taupo fly fishing guides know the gear and rigs you need and often find it easier using their own kit.