Fly fishing options for Taupo and Turangi, New Zealand
Due to the wide range of gear and techniques we use and our diverse fishing spots, we can guide you on a great fly fishing experience any time of year.
We pride ourselves on giving the best experience possible and can tailor a package to suit all tastes whether you want:
- A trophy trip hunting New Zealand monster brown trout in special small creeks that may have been untouched for weeks.
- A day or more on the world-famous Tongariro River in Turangi. In summer our fly fishing guides will have you on a cicada dry-fly casting to big brown trout, and in winter we target the spawning runs where large strong rainbows hold throughout the river.
- A true classic Kiwi wilderness adventure on our famous bigger rivers in the Central North Island such as the Rangatikei or Mohaka and others. Travel via helicopter, raft, or a healthy tramp through scenic native forest to a riverside camp and enjoy the true unspoilt sights and sounds of our native bush whilst taking in the aroma of freshly brewed coffee by the campfire.
- A day spotting and stalking rainbow and brown trout along the edges of a river or lake using dry flies and nymphs.
- Familiarisation on local patterns, techniques and approaches for New Zealand’s very diverse trout waters. This is ideal for clients who are spending time in Taupo and who want to be armed and dangerous for the rest of their travels throughout New Zealand.
- A tiny spring-fed creek using light gear and tiny dries to see and catch wild rainbow trout, or fly fishing to much larger brown trout on a spring-fed river close to Taupo.
We can customise any trip to your personal preferences and objectives, experience and time. We provide all gear, food and drink and collect and return you to Taupo or Turangi.
A few of our popular fly fishing adventures are:
One day guided adventure
Ideal for anglers who are on holiday in New Zealand and just want to fit in a magic day of fishing with a guide who will give you the best opportunities.
Whether you want to stalk and cast to that once in a lifetime big brown trout on the Waitahanui or play lots of rainbows on the Tongariro River, we’ll do everything possible to make it a day to remember.
Price: from $700 – $800 NZD depending on requirements and time of year
Multi-day fly fishing New Zealand dream trip
Ideal for anglers who want to really make the most of their time fly fishing in New Zealand and enjoy a range of stunning fly fishing locations targeting rainbow and brown trout of all sizes.
The longer you have the more we can fit in. Aside from the thrill of the fishing, a helicopter trip into the native forest or a raft trip through untouched canyons will leave a lifelong impression. We particularly enjoy guiding clients for multiple days because we develop firm friendships and help our clients improve their fishing skills.
Some clients choose to include a couple of options such as time on the world-famous Tongariro River as well as a day up a trophy brown creek or on beautiful backcountry rivers.
One of the best options is a week-long adventure where you experience something different every day. Read about our Seven Day Taupo Fly Fishing Adventures here. Clients from these trips often want to come back for more.
Price: we will work with you to develop a custom itinerary and price.