Taupo Fishing Guide – fly fishing options
Due to our great locations, the wide range of gear and techniques we use, and our diverse fishing spots in the North and South Islands, we can guide you on a great fly fishing experience any time of year.
We pride ourselves on giving the best experience possible and can tailor a package to suit all tastes whether you want:
- A trophy trip hunting New Zealand monster Brown trout in special small creeks that may have been untouched for weeks.
- A day or more with one of our Tongariro River Fly Fishing Guides experiencing this world famous trout fishery. In summer our fly fishing guides will have you on a cicada dry-fly casting to big Brown trout, and in winter we target the spawning runs where large strong Rainbows hold throughout the river.
- A true classic Kiwi wilderness adventure on our famous bigger rivers in the Central North Island such as the Rangitikei or Mohaka and others. Travel via car, helicopter, raft, 4×4, or a healthy tramp through scenic native forest to a riverside camp or bush hut.
- A day spotting and stalking Rainbow and Brown trout along the edges of a river or lake using dry flies and nymphs.
- Familiarisation on local patterns, techniques and approaches for New Zealand’s very diverse trout waters. This is ideal for clients who are spending time in Taupo and who want to be armed and dangerous for the rest of their travels throughout New Zealand.
- A walk up a tiny spring-fed creek using light gear and tiny dries to see and catch wild Rainbow trout, or fly fishing to much larger Brown trout on a spring-fed river close to Taupo.
- A fun family or team day where you all learn to cast a fly on a beautiful river, and with a little luck (and some great tuition) hook your first trout.
- A chance of hooking the biggest trout you have ever seen from one of the world famous monster trout canals and rivers around Tekapo and Twizel.
- Sight fishing to gorgeous wild brown trout on the dry fly on pristine alpine rivers around Queenstown and Wanaka.
We can customise any trip to your personal preferences and objectives, experience and time.
Rates start from $1000 NZD a day and we provide all fishing gear, food and drink and collect and return you to Taupo or Turangi, Wanaka or Queenstown, or Tekapo or Twizel. Normally the only extra cost is your fishing license which can be bought online or with your Guide in-store the morning of your trip.
You can read about different options and places other clients have fished on our client reviews page and read what makes our Taupo fly fishing guides and South Island fishing guides different to the rest.
If you are ready to check about dates and possible options then please give us a few details on our fishing enquiry form and we’ll get back to you with a possible plan and quote asap.
We can customise any Taupo or lower South Island trout fishing trip or wilderness backcountry adventure according to your personal preferences and experience. The New Zealand Fly Fishing Company provide all the gear, food and drink, and collect and return you to your accommodation.