Taupo Fishing Guide – fly fishing options
Due to our central location, the wide range of gear and techniques we use, and our diverse fishing spots, we can guide you on a great fly fishing experience any time of year.
We pride ourselves on giving the best experience possible and can tailor a package to suit all tastes whether you want:
- A trophy trip hunting New Zealand monster Brown trout in special small creeks that may have been untouched for weeks.
- A day or more with one of our Tongariro River Fly Fishing Guides experiencing this world famous trout fishery. In summer our fly fishing guides will have you on a cicada dry-fly casting to big Brown trout, and in winter we target the spawning runs where large strong Rainbows hold throughout the river.
- A true classic Kiwi wilderness adventure on our famous bigger rivers in the Central North Island such as the Rangitikei or Mohaka and others. Travel via car, helicopter, raft, 4×4, or a healthy tramp through scenic native forest to a riverside camp or bush hut.
- A day spotting and stalking Rainbow and Brown trout along the edges of a river or lake using dry flies and nymphs.
- Familiarisation on local patterns, techniques and approaches for New Zealand’s very diverse trout waters. This is ideal for clients who are spending time in Taupo and who want to be armed and dangerous for the rest of their travels throughout New Zealand.
- A walk up a tiny spring-fed creek using light gear and tiny dries to see and catch wild Rainbow trout, or fly fishing to much larger Brown trout on a spring-fed river close to Taupo.
- A fun family or team day where you all learn to cast a fly on a beautiful river, and with a little luck (and some great tuition) hook your first trout.
We can customise any trip to your personal preferences and objectives, experience and time.
Rates start from $750 NZD a day and we provide all fishing gear, food and drink and collect and return you to Taupo or Turangi. Normally the only extra cost is your fishing license which can be bought online or with your Guide in-store the morning of your trip.
If you are ready to check about dates and possible options then please give us a few details on our fishing enquiry form and we’ll get back to you with a possible plan and quote asap.